The Benefits of Half Moon Pose (Ardha Chandrasana)
Ardha Chandrasana challenges the body, balance and mind. For many students, half moon pose is a pinnacle pose that once understood lays the foundation for more advanced asanas. When I began my practice, this was the pose that truly challenged me. It took months, if not years, to get ardha chandrasana in my body. That, and besides how good it feels in my legs and back, is why it is one of my favorite poses. Half moon reminds me that dedication, surrender, falling and laughter are all equally important aspects of this practice.
- Strengthens ankles, knees and legs
- Roots thighbones to help alleviate backpain
- Strengthens abdomen, buttocks and spine
- Opens chest and shoulders
- Improves digestion
- Reduces anxiety, depression
- Improves balance, coordination
- Relives stress
Teaches us the journey is more important for self awareness and self acceptance that "nailing" then pose.
Prenatal practicioners should utilize a wall for support and to aid in balance